Heritage Building – Melbourne 1870
B’Churrasco is located in an early Victorian Heritage bluestone building. It is a superb example of an early warehouse structures (possibly the earliest surviving warehouse building in Melbourne) and is an extremely rare survivor in this part of Melbourne CBD.
In 1871, the building is constructed for McClure, Valantine & Co, wholesale grocers and wine and spirit merchants, who had been in business in A’Beckett Street since the 1850s. This heritage warehouse is architecturally significant because of its intact façade, large open interior spaces and is home to the only known surviving example of a nineteenth century operational hydraulic goods lift. This century old hydraulic lift, the last of it’s kind in Australia, is currently listed on the Victoria Heritage Register .
In 2013, the building was restored to a multi level dining hall designed by CLP Architects and built by Method Constructions. Key aspects of the heritage building has been retained in the restoration. The building is currently an important contribution to A’Beckett Street landscape and its recent makeover coincides with the regeneration and gentrification happening in this part of Melbourne CBD.